A new Council of Europe strategy on the rights of the child
On 1 March 2022, the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe adopted a new strategy on the rights of the child aimed at promoting and protecting the rights of the child in Europe.
The new plan is part of the framework programme "Building a Europe for and with children" launched in 2006. The document, which will be launched at a high-level conference in Rome on 7-8 April, outlines six strategic objectives:
• Freedom from violence for all children
• Equal opportunities and social inclusion for all children
• Access to safe use of technologies for all children
• Child-friendly justice for all children
• Giving a voice to every child
• Children’s rights in crisis and emergency situations
The new strategy was developed following a broad consultative process involving national governments, international organisations, civil society organisations and 220 children from 10 Council of Europe member states.